Practically each photographer or marriage ceremony planner could have completely different recommendation about this, and that’s okay – as a result of all of us function in a different way, and all of us have completely different ranges (and kinds) of expertise. If you’re questioning, “do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer” in your marriage ceremony day, I’m right here to lend my 100% trustworthy and candid opinions (and recommendation).
Do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer? I say no.
There are a number of variables, however I really imagine that you do NOT want a second marriage ceremony photographer IF:
- You rent a proficient lead photographer with a number of expertise with a mode you like.
- You’ll be able to belief your lead photographer 100%. (Should you can’t, don’t rent them).
- When you’ve got fewer than 200 company AND you don’t thoughts in the event that they don’t all get a photograph. (You’re okay with these group images in the course of the cocktail hour and reception).
For my very personal marriage ceremony day, you might be rattling positive that I care about my images. It was our #1 precedence (after having a tremendous time with our family and friends). We have been going to do every little thing the precise method when it got here to images — and I didn’t rent a second photographer. It by no means even crossed my thoughts. And I’m 100% okay with that.
Let’s now say that I’ve a finances of $4,500 (out the door) for my marriage ceremony images finances after tax. That might imply that I would wish to discover a native photographer for round $4,000. (Modify your numbers right here based mostly in your marriage ceremony images finances, if it’s completely different.) Bear in mind, it’s the speed plus tax.
With that finances of $4,000 pre-tax, I’ve two choices:
1. Discover ONE lead photographer who’s unhealthy ass at what they do and belief them 100% (as I ought to) who’s value $4,000 (or extra). Do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer to construct belief? No.
2. Discover a lead photographer who isn’t nearly as good because the dearer one, however discover consolation in a second photographer being there merely so as to add the next variety of images (neither of which match the consistency, high quality, and supply of that dearer lead photographer). Do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer for increased high quality? no.
So (for me), it was a no brainer. Rent the dearer lead photographer who I may belief and have the type I really like.
As a result of – in any case – these are the pictures that will final me the remainder of my life, it’s the pictures I’m going to indicate my future youngsters and grandchildren, and it’s the pictures that might be amongst my most cherished of recollections.
Should you’re nonetheless not bought on solely having one photographer…
- Your lead photographer is most frequently extra skilled than the second photographer, and the second photographer is photographing the identical actual moments simply from a unique angle. Throughout many moments of your marriage ceremony day, the second shooter is solely photographing a unique angle of the identical second… and there may be ALWAYS one angle that’s higher than one other. So, why would you need that different angle that isn’t as nice, and from a photographer with much less expertise?
- You lower your expenses by solely hiring the solo lead photographer.
Do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer when you have loads of company?
When you’ve got fewer than 200 company, what it actually boils right down to is that this: Would you like high quality or amount?
Time for some brutal honesty: If you’re anxious concerning the lead photographer lacking moments, you’re not hiring the precise lead photographer. He/she is going to know the place to be & when, and the best way to seize that second in a wide range of lighting eventualities (from a high-noon portrait session to the midnight reception send-off). Belief is SO key when hiring a marriage photographer. Should you don’t have that belief, it will replicate in your images.
Have a look at the critiques of the photographer you might be interested by hiring as a SOLO shooter. Are all of them 5-stars throughout the board? If that’s the case, and if they’ve a mode that you simply love — you shouldn’t have something to fret about. Simply do your due diligence.
If you’d like each high quality, amount, AND an expert service whereas having enjoyable… rent the lead photographer you like, pay for a second photographer to affix him/her, and be okay with the speed. Marriage ceremony images is simply a fraction of the price of your venue and your catering, and it’s the ONE THING that you’ll look again on to recollect all of these cherished moments.
If the finances is being pushed, needless to say most marriage ceremony professionals are capable of supply a custom-made fee plan to assist make it occur.
So, do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer? 99% of the time, I say no. 1% of the time, I like to recommend you do. It primarily simply is determined by how massive your marriage ceremony is and if you would like all the company coated a bit extra. Most individuals don’t. (I didn’t).
(NOTE: Not all second photographers have much less expertise, and never all second photographers get in the way in which. The above is merely my skilled strategies, opinions, and recommendation based mostly on 10-years full-time expertise as an expert photographer. Let me know when you have another questions concerning the well-known query of “do you want a second marriage ceremony photographer.”)
For a glance by means of a handful of weddings I photographed 100% solo, take a look at these weddings.
- Woodland Meadow Farms in Snohomish, WA
- Fremont Foundry in Seattle, WA
- Desires Resort & Spa in Tulum, Mexico
- Crockett Farm in Whidbey Island, WA
- Lairmont Manor marriage ceremony venue in Bellingham, WA
- Lafayette Gardens marriage ceremony venue in Burlington, WA
- Fairmont Olympic marriage ceremony venue in Seattle, WA
- Rosario Resort marriage ceremony venue in Orcas Island, WA
And perhaps you might be questioning how a lot you must spend on a marriage photographer. Try this weblog submit and it’ll reply your questions, and offer you some examples straight from my very own marriage ceremony day.
And in case you are searching for an superior Seattle, Woodinville, and Snohomish marriage ceremony coordinator, go to my spouse’s work at Luma & Lavender.